If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: First of all I will say up front that I haven't prepared this yet, but I have a cooking job scheduled next week and I'm working from my laptop in a hotel room. I work like this frequently. I'm preparing a porchetta which I can make in my sleep but I must have a salad to satisfy the vegan sect (I've heard they are going to be burning copies of "Nose to Tail" this weekend). But I think fennel and radish will complement the porchetta straight off the food truck. Here's what I'm thinking: —pierino
- 4 fennel bulbs with fronds
- 1 bunch fat red radishes
- 1 red onion
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cracked black pepper
- fleur de sel
- Separate fennel tops from bulbs and reserve. Trim the bulbs. See note on slicing below.
- Wash and top off the radishes. Save the tops for "another use"---like soup). Slice them super thin.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Combine above ingredients with your clean hands in a large bowl. Drizzle in some peppery flavored extra virgin olive oil (a California oil would be good). Season with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the fennel tops and sprinkle those over everything.
- A note on slicing: I aim for the thinnest slices possible, so for the fennel and the onion I turn to my mandoline (Robespierre) and for the radish my hand kyocera slicer (Danton). No matter how accurate you are with a sharp knife these are time savers.
Tags: serves a crowd
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radish Recipe
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
The invincible beer can chicken.
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.