If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Typically in Nigeria, chicken for stews is lovingly spiced with curry powder, thyme, ginger and garlic. More often than not, the chicken is boiled before roasting to ensure it is cooked through...to the bone. Yes, we're guilty of boiling our food to death but only because most people tend to go for the 'old layers', which in the Netherlands we call 'soep kip' (soup chicken), named so because it needs long cooking to tenderise the extremely tasty flesh. However, this recipe calls for 'young chicken wings', broilers as we know 'em. I am after all in Europe. - Kitchen Butterfly
Serves a lot
- 2 large onions (red or white), chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic , without the skin
- Fresh yellow (or red) chili (1/2 a chili will be a little hot, so don’t use more than that if you’re not a chili fan, or omit it completely)
- Fresh/dried ginger (1 tsp, or to taste)
- Salt, to taste
- 2-3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2-3 tablespoons dried curry powder
- 2 -3 teaspoons chicken seasoning – Aromat, or any other seasoning you like
- I teaspoon smoky paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1kg chicken wings, separated into flats, drumettes and wing tips (reserve wing tips for another use)
- BEGIN WITH THE MARINADE Blend Onions, garlic and fresh ginger, chilies, if using without water in a blender. Do it in pulses and if it is difficult, open the blender and scoop the sides in with a spatula. When ready put onion mixture into a large bowl.
- Add spices to onion mixture and mix well.
- Add chicken pieces to spice mixture, making sure chicken pieces are well coated. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave in the fridge to marinate overnight
- When ready to cook, put chicken and marinade in a pan and do not add any water. Let steam on medium - low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring now and again so it doesn't burn. The point isn't to cook the chicken but to give the marinade one last chance to infuse the chicken with flavour. You can use the left over cooked marinade to make stock by adding some boiling water and straining.
- When steaming is done, put grill on medium and place chicken pieces on a baking rack and set rack about 6 inches down from the top of the grill. You may have to do this in batches. Grill to doneness and desired brownness, turning a couple of times to ensure even cooking! Alternatively, place on a baking tray in the middle of the oven set to the highest and bake/roast till done, 15 - 20 minutes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken Wings
We're Gonna Make You Popular
These recipes have gotten a little extra love.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
Will Travel For Food
You won't be board with this game.