If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cilantro aka Coriander leaf is my absolutely favourite herb. I was so taken with Oui Chef's blanching of it (See Oui Chef's red pepper soup) to make an oil which releases the fragrance and just intensifies the taste that I had to make some chicken wings. With Kaffir limes - the most fragrant green citruses I've ever come across - strong, clean, floral scents pair well with the coriander and some green chili to make delicious tasting wings. —Kitchen Butterfly
Serves 10 flats and drumettes
- 5 wings sans tips, cut into flats and drumettes
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 10 - 12 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- A handful cilantro leaves, washed and dried
- 1/3 cup flavourless oil
- 1 fresh green chili
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 kaffir limes, zested and quartered
- Put the chicken wings in a bowl and poke with a sharp knife to make slits, which will encourage the marinade to go deeper
- Combine the lemon juice, zest, sugar and salt and stir till solids are mostly dissolved. Pour this lemon mixture over the chicken and mix properly so each piece is coated
- Set aside for 5 - 10 minutes. In the mean time, toast the seeds. Start with the larger ones - peppercorns and coriander and toast for a minute or two, then add the cumin. Let toast for another minute or till you start to get whiffs of earthy scents. Take off heat and crush in a mortar and pestle. It doesn't have to be 'table salt fine'
- Sprinkle spices over the chicken pieces and mix well so each chicken piece is covered with the spices.
- Set your kettle to boil. Once boiled, dip the cilantro leaves in for 30 seconds and then remove and refresh in a bowl of cold water. Remove leaves and squeeze water out
- Place coriander leaves, oil, chili, onion and garlic powder in a blender or food processor and blitz till fine and leaves are itty bitty.
- Mix coriander puree with kaffir lime zest and quarters till well combined. Check for salt and then pour over chicken. Stir well and let marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight
- When you're ready to cook, remove chicken from marinade and heat oven to the highest (250 deg centigrade) and bake chicken in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes, or till ready. Enjoy
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken Wings
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.