Author Notes: As soon as the weather turns cold and good local apples are still plentiful, I begin the ritual of packing this lunch to take to work. I have been making and packing the same lunch for myself for the past few years. I eat this at my desk or at meetings, savoring the mix of crunchy apples and nuts, chewy raisins or craisins, creamy yogurt, and the sparkle of lemon or lime juice. I never get tired of this lunch and appreciate not having to ask myself each busy morning: what am I going to take for lunch today? Note: if you like ginger and have it on hand, a grating of fresh ginger or a piece of chopped crystallized ginger makes a nice addition. - JoanG
- 1 good, curnchy apple such as Honeycrisp
- 1 cup good plain yogurt such as Greek style or my favorite, Sheeps milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted nuts, such as walmuts
- 2 tablespoons raisins,craisins, or dried cherries or a mix of these
- 1 lime or lemon or a key lime
- 1 1/2 tablespoon good honey (I love lavender honey)
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
- Core the apple and cut into large chunky dice. I leave on the
- Mix the ygourt and honey together. Mix in apple, fruit and nuts. Add ginger.
- Squeeze the lime or lemon juice over the mixture, give it a stir, and pack in a little dish to take for lunch or serve as a side dish at dinner.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch