Author Notes: I simply adore sweet potatoes and they deserve their day in the sun! The nutmeg adds a bit of warmth and spice to the sauce and it's fun to make it in a muffin tin so everyone can have their own gratin. - chandie2
- 1 large sweet potato, cleaned, peeled and sliced very thinly
- 1 large Russet potato, cleaned, peeled and sliced very thinly
- 2 cups half and half or whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced tarragon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano
- unsalted butter, as needed
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, heat whipping cream and vanilla until small bubbles form around cream. Remove from heat, add thyme, tarragon and nutmeg and replace lid to steep for fifteen minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly butter the 6 cups of a muffin tin with unsalted butter and lay one sweet potato slice and one russet potato slice into each cup. Pour a scant tablespoon of the cream mixture on top of the potatoes and then a bit of cheese. Continue layering until all six cups are full and press lightly to remove any air bubbles in between the layers.
- Sprinkle with a bit of cheese and bake for 20 minutes until cream is bubbling, cheese is melted and top is light golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes in the muffin tin before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Gratin