Author Notes: This dessert empanada recipe uses figs for a delicious flavor. You can substitute the figs for many different kinds of fruit and feel free to experiment with this recipe. Check out the video recipe here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2UBpXLeJZs&feature=player_embedded - MuyBueno
- 15-20 figs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- lemon zest from half a lemon
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Wedge figs and add honey and lemon zest and set aside.
- Make pastry by combining all dry ingredients and then cut in shortening and add egg and milk.
- Roll out pastry and fill with fig mixture.
- Place empanadas on a greased cookie sheet and brush with egg whites.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch