If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad stems from a Belarusian recipe.I believe the name comes from the look of the salad, like a flower fern with all its julienned ingredients. But I have been inspired to add pickled fiddlehead ferns, chopped egg, and small seckel pears to it. I suggest a vinaigrette for the dressing. This makes a perfect picnic because it really travels well. You can easily pack it in a tiffin, but then plate it. You can vary the types of meat, but just make sure everything follows the shoestring coarse julienned form. You want a combination of fresh and pickled vegetables. —Sagegreen
- vinegar and water in a 1:3 ratio
- 1 small sweet onion, cut thinly into rings and halved
- 4 ounces excellent quality fatty ham, julienned
- 2 ounces proscuitto, julienned
- 4 small heirloom tomatoes, peeled and cut into long pieces ( I added the excess juice in with the dressing)
- 1 ounce pickled fiddlehead ferns or asparagus, optional
- 1 ounce pickled green tomatoes, julienned, optional
- 6 ounces Brimskaya Brinza cheese, julienned
- 6 ounces fresh or freshly pickled refrigerator cucumbers, julienned
- 8 small dill gherkins, julienned
- 1 tablespoon capote capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped black olives, optional
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill, chives, and flat leaf parsley
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 2 seckel pears, julienned and spritzed with fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons champagne or pear vinegar
- 4 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon acacia or other similar honey
- 1 small bit of white anchovy, finely minced and mashed, optional, but recommended
- kosher or pink Himalayan salt to taste
- fresh milled pepper to taste
- 2-4 hearty artisan bread slices, buttered on the side
- serve on a bed of mixed seasonal greens, if desired
- Marinate the onion rings in the water and vinegar mix for 2-3 hours. Then drain and mince finely.
- Assemble all the salad ingredients together, add a dash of salt, and keep any greens you may want to use as a bed separate. Pack to travel. Keep salad chilled until serving.
- Combine the vinegar and EVOO, mustard, and honey with optional anchovy. Season with salt and pepper. Feel free to include any excess tomato juice in the dressing. Pack the dressing to travel, so it can be shaken well and poured later.
- When ready to eat, plate your salad, dress, and toss. Serve with hearty lightly buttered artisan bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
Give Peas a Chance
Pea guacamole and other offensive foods
Warning: You might be offended.
Burnt Toast: Episode 9
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.