Author Notes: This is an incredibly simple recipe. Almost child’s play. All you really need is perfectly-ripe, but firm and juicy tomatoes at room temperature — they are the star ingredient here. My mom has been making these ever since we were children. And I have never had this exact combination anywhere else. It's an excellent starter on a warm summer evening. You can also serve it over a piece of toasted bread in the spirit of a bruschetta. The bread soaks the briny solution oozing out of the tomatoes and tastes heavenly! - anu
- Cumin seeds
- Red chilli powder or paprika
- Start by dry roasting the cumin seeds. Put them in a moderately hot pan and keep stirring constantly. Once you get the smoky whiff, take them out of the pan. Set them aside for a minute before crushing them.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes in 1/2-inch thick slices. Use a sharp knife to get clean slices. Arrange them on a platter and sprinkle with salt, red chilly powder and sugar. Use as much or as little as you like.
- Once the cumin seeds have cooled down a bit, roughly grind them in a mortar and pestle or with a rolling pin. Sprinkle over the tomatoes.
- Let everything sit for 5-10 minutes at room temperature to allow tomatoes to soak up the salt and sugar. Devour!