Author Notes: This is the recipe I made that won the first challenge when I was on the Next Food Network Star season 3. It was a potluck theme and I had to make a vegetarian side dish.You can use spinach or arugula if you don't have beet greens. I like using leftover beet greens-they're delicious(and nutritious!) and usually no one knows what to do with them. - colombedujour
- 1 1/2 pound Butternut Squash(peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 bunch beet greens, washed
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup Goat Cheese
- 1/4 cup mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinammon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven at 400
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, drizzle the squash pieces with 2 Tablespoons olive oil and add the cinnamon, cayenne and sea salt, toss to evenly coat and roast for 45-50 minutes.
- Cut the leaves of the beet greens off of the stalks. Chiffonade leaves, rolling three at a time and then making thin slices on a diagonal.
- When the squash is cooked through, remove from oven and mix in the beet greens right on the baking sheet. If needed, add the T olive oil.
- Then add the mint, goat cheese and walnuts. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash