If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a rich, decadent side dish that's wonderful with a braised pork butt. It's also a good Thanksgiving side, in a switch from sweet potatos, For that matter, it's good by itself! - Kayb
- 3 medium butternut squash
- 3 onions
- 6 ounces your favorite melting cheese (Gruyere, fontina, etc.)
- 6 tablespoons butter,divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or panko
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano
- Peel squash, seed and cut in half. Slice squash and cut in 1/4 inch slices. A mandoline is useful for this, if you have one. Parboil squash slices for 5 minutes and drain.
- Cut onions in half from top to bottom, peel, and slice into half-moons. Caramelize onion in 3 tbsp butter in a heavy saute pan until golden brown.
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan and add flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until flour is golden and starts to smell nutty. Add milk, whisking to dissolve all lumps. Add nutmeg and white pepper. Cook until it coats the back of a spoon, and then add cheese, stirring to melt.
- Assemble gratin: Put a little sauce in the bottom of a baking dish, add a layer of squash slices, cover with a layer of onion, and pour cheese sauce over. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used or pan is full.
- Toss parmigiano and bread crumbs together until well mixed, and sprinkle over gratin. (Note: recipe may be made to this point and then held for up to 24 hours, refrigerated, before baking. Bring back to room temperature before baking.)
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash
You're the Best, Forget the Rest
The World's 50 Best Restaurants have nothin' on these recipes.
The best restaurant? Your kitchen.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
These are mmmpanadas.
You won't be board with this game.