If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love Polenta...any form, shape. And I love Butternut Squash...decided to combine these 2 favorites..but needed a sauce of some kind...decided to make it absolutely Italian....so did a sauce, but didn't want a spaghetti sauce....this sauce evolved. —loubaby
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups polenta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 pound mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- Salsa Rustica
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 3/4 pounds cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, peeled, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup Italian black olives, chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil leaves
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Cut Squash into ½ inch pieces; place on a large foiled-lined jelly roll pan and cook for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onion, rosemary and sugar; cook over moderately low heat about 30 minutes until onions are caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Whisk in the polenta and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook over very low heat, stirring frequently, until cooked, about 30 minutes. Stir in butter.
- Add squash, walnuts, onion mixture, mozzarella and 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese to the Polenta. Pour polenta mixture into 2 greased 9-inch cake pans. Refrigerate polenta until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make Salsa. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 1 Tbl olive oil, tomatoes, red onion and cook until charred all over, about 3-5 minutes, turning frequently. Remove from heat; chop the vegetables. Stir in garlic, olives, anchovies, vinegar, basil and the remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- To Serve: Preheat oven to 375. Sprinkle Polenta with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake about 45 minutes, until the top is browned. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting it into pie shaped wedges. Serve with Salsa Rustica.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash