If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Had some leftover butternut squash and used it in a gelato. Candied some walnuts in maple syrup and wow, it worked well. - philthegrill
Serves 4-8 people
for the Gelato
- 1 Butternut Squash (halved/seeded)
- 5 Egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Shelled whole walnuts
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven 350
- Put Butternut Squash halves in roasting tin and add 1/3 inch of water. Sprinkle salt and pour two tablespoons of maple syrup on each halve.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until nicely roasted and flesh comes out easily.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl to blend.
- Over medium heat, bring milk and cream to boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk hot milk/cream mixture into egg mixture. Very important to do it gradually so eggs don’t curdle.
- Add roasted butternut squash meat to custard mixture. Blend well. Return mixture to saucepan and stir over medium low heat until custard thickens about 8 minutes. Do not let boil and stir until the custards coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat. Stir in chinese 5-spice powder, vanilla, and pinch of salt.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve and let cool.
- Transfer to ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Add maple syrup, walnuts, and pinch of salt to small saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Allow to thicken about ten minutes or until nice and sticky.
- Serve when gelato is set and top with candied walnuts.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.