Author Notes: Had some leftover butternut squash and used it in a gelato. Candied some walnuts in maple syrup and wow, it worked well. - philthegrill
Serves 4-8 people
for the Gelato
- 1 Butternut Squash (halved/seeded)
- 5 Egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Shelled whole walnuts
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven 350
- Put Butternut Squash halves in roasting tin and add 1/3 inch of water. Sprinkle salt and pour two tablespoons of maple syrup on each halve.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until nicely roasted and flesh comes out easily.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl to blend.
- Over medium heat, bring milk and cream to boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk hot milk/cream mixture into egg mixture. Very important to do it gradually so eggs don’t curdle.
- Add roasted butternut squash meat to custard mixture. Blend well. Return mixture to saucepan and stir over medium low heat until custard thickens about 8 minutes. Do not let boil and stir until the custards coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat. Stir in chinese 5-spice powder, vanilla, and pinch of salt.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve and let cool.
- Transfer to ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Add maple syrup, walnuts, and pinch of salt to small saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Allow to thicken about ten minutes or until nice and sticky.
- Serve when gelato is set and top with candied walnuts.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash