If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One perfectly good reason to buy whole slab, or make your own, bacon is you get the smokey rind. The pork rind is perfect for keeping a roast juicy and adds tons of great flavor, and besides, when the smokey hammy fat oozes down on the vegetables, oh my...
Wrapping a roast in fat is called barding. It is so simple and so delicious. It is a technique of days gone buy in America but I often see it done in ethnic markets and in different countries around Europe.
If Brussel sprouts offend you, which I just don’t get, feel absolutely free to substitute another long cooking green vegetable. Parsnips, potatoes, celery root, and the list goes on, would be good too.
- 1 four rib, bone-in center cut pork loin roast, chine bone removed
- 1 applewood smoked bacon rind, with a thin layer of fat on the bottom
- 1 pound Brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 4 to 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 8 to 10 pearl onions, trimmed and peeled
- 8 to 12 garlic cloves, peeled and trimmed
- a handful of thyme sprigs
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Season the roast with salt and pepper. Place the bacon rind ont the roast and tie it into place with kitchen twine.
- Heat a twelve inch skillet over high heat and add the grap seed oil. Add the Brussel sprouts and carrots without crowding them. You may need to do this in bactches. Season them with salt and pepper. Brown them well and when browned place them into a large casserole.
- Brown the onions in the same pan along with any remaining sprouts or carrots.
- Place the onions and garlic into the same casserole with the veggies and place the roast on top rind side up.
- Place the casserole into the oven and set a timer for 30 minutes. When the timer goes off stir the veggies well making sure they get coated with the drippings.
- Set the timer for another 30 minutes. Stir the veggies again.
- Go another 30 minutesbut this time check to see how the roast is coming along by either the squeeze test or with an instant read thermometer. The middle of the roast should read 150 to 155 degrees.
- If it is not done, stir the veggies and check the roast again after 15 minutes.
- Once the roast is finished cut it into four chops, remove the thyme branches and serve along side the veggies.
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.