If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Kefalonia is what most think that a Greek island looks like; little fishing villages, mountains, turquoise blue water, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world(Mirtos), great Venetian ruins and a movie location (Captain Corelli's Mandoline). Our friend, Panayis and his wife Roxanna made us moussaka one night (she has cooked at all the best restaurants on the island) and I did my best to figure out the ingredients. Her meat sauce is like a bolognese...Kefalonia has a strong Italian heritage . This moussaka is very rich and concentrated. I was going to subtitle this My Big Fat Greek Vacation because I ate so much fantastic food on Kefalonia! - dymnyno
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta (about 10 slices)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 potatoes, sliced lengthwise into thin slices
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into thin rounds
- bechamel sauce
- bread crumbs
- parmesan cheese, grated
- s & p
- olive oil
- Saute the meat, garlic and onions
- Saute the pancetta until crispy, crumble and add to the lamb mixture.
- Add the tomato sauce.
- Add the milk and stir to combine.
- Slice the potatoes lengthwise into thin slices and fry in a little olive oil until translucent. Remove to paper towels .
- Slice the eggplant into thin rounds, brush with olive oil and roast in a 350 degree oven until cooked but not browned.
- Make the bechamel: melt 4 tablespoons butter, add 2 tablespoons flour and whisk together, then add 1 cup milk and keep whisking until it thickens. Add a generous amount of freshly ground nutmeg. (the Kefalonians use nutmeg very generously in a lot of their dishes).
- To assemble the casserole: Line the casserole with the potato slices...just one layer.
- Next add a layer of the meat sauce.
- Next add a layer of eggplant.
- Then a layer of meat sauce.
- Cover with the bechamel sauce.
- Finally, top with a mixture of bread crumbs and cheese and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
Recipe of the Day
Garden Mule Cocktail
Garden Mule Cocktail
Fresh beer, anywhere.
What to Do With Marjoram
How to keep produce longer.
Go play outside!