Author Notes: While in Chattanooga, Tennessee last weekend visiting friends, I ate dinner at a lovely new Italian restaurant downtown. The word was this restaurant had the most wonderful brick oven pizza, so of course I had to try it. I ordered the fig, Gorgonzola and arugula pizza. I just love figs and this pizza reminded me of why. I wanted to make a gravy with a fruit other than cranberry, so why not figs. - acarterw
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 Smal Spanish Onion, Finely Diced
- 2 cups Fairmount Orchard Apple Cider (The drive to Signal Mountain, TN is beautiful, but the apple cider is out of this world!)
- 1 cup Turkey Stock (if you do not have turkey stock, sub Swanson chicken stock)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 pound Fresh Figs, Chopped (if you dont have fresh you can use dried)
- 3/4 teaspoons Chinese Five-Spice Powder
- Pinch Ground Cloves
- In a large saucepan, heat Butter over medium heat.
- Once Butter is melted, toss in the Spanish Onion and cook until soft.
- Add to saucepan the Figs, Five-Spice Powder and Ground Cloves. Stirring constantly so Figs do not stick.
- Add the Bay Leaf, Turkey Stock and Apple Cider, bring to a boil. Once it has reached a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 35 - 40 minutes until mixture has reduced by half.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gravy