If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm not completely certain about the origins of the name Indian Pudding, but a little research has pointed in the direction of the early Colonists calling anything made with corn or corn meal 'Indian'. This recipe was my Grandmother's and she always served it with her homemade vanilla bean ice cream. I haven't had this since I was a kid, but I was thinking of having it at the table this year as an homage to the original Thanksgiving feast, even if just for the name alone. Now all I need to do is figure out the 'Pilgrim' part! —TiggyBee
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup unsulphered molasses
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon your best vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup currants
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a sauce pan, add the milk, molasses, sugar, butter, vanilla and bring to a near boil, stirring frequently so the milk doesn't burn.
- Combine the corn meal with the with the ginger, cinnamon and salt and slowly whisk in to the heated milk mixture, whisking constantly until it comes to a simmer. Continue to cook and stir for about 10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Stir in the currants and pour the mixture into a buttered casserole or soufflé dish and bake in the oven for approximately 1 and 1/2 hours hours or until set. After the pudding has cooled for 20 minutes, serve with a dollop of bourbon cream and a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream.
- To Make The Bourbon Spiked Cream you will need: 1 pint heavy whipping cream 1 1/2 teaspoons bourbon, or to taste - 1/4 cup confectioners sugar ---- Combine cream and bourbon together and whip until soft peaks begin to form, add the sugar a little at a time during the mixing and whip until stiff.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.