If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Moussaka is a dish that is very popular in the Balkan region of Europe, and the Near East, but every country has a different way of preparing it. Some layer the moussaka with eggplants, others fill the moussaka with rice or meat, or both. I, on the other hand, made it my own with potatoes and portabella mushrooms - this is heavenly when you pair it with a glass of Pinot Noir! You can also substitute to make it completely vegan; instead of milk you can use unflavored soy milk, and for the eggs you can use an Egg substitute equivalent to 3 eggs – I use Ener-G substitute = 4 1/2 teaspoons of Ener-G egg replacer plus 6 tbsp. of water.
- 2 (8 oz. packages) portabella mushrooms, diced
- 5-6 russet potatoes, medium-sized
- 1 carrot, cleaned and sliced crosswise
- 2 onions, medium-sized, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- Boil and peel the potatoes – cut into 1/4 inch slices, crosswise.
- In a non-stick pan throw in the mushrooms, carrots, garlic, onions, tomatoes, basil, and garlic salt - toss with EVOO and stir. Set the pan over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a deep baking dish, arrange the potato slices one next to another and cover the bottom.
- Bring over the mushroom filling and lay it over the potatoes evenly. Cover with another layer of potato slices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk and the eggs and pour the mixture over the potatoes, evenly.
- Put the baking dish in a 375 degree preheated oven for 45 minutes to an hour. Allow it to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
The Genius Way to Cook Chicken Thighs
Better than your favorite fried chicken.
Better than fried chicken.
Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
Fire up the grill.
Sunshine Sweet Apricots
Portable picnic snacks.