If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love roasting vegetables that are slightly bitter. Coaxing out its natural sweetness, it inevitably transforms them into something irresistible. Roasting endive is no exception; paired with sweet persimmon and salty feta, the acid in the citrus brings this dish together. I will serve this on my Thanksgiving table because it is easy, elegant and in the oven and on the table in the time it takes your turkey (or tofurky) to rest before feasting. —gingerroot
Serves 6 as a side, easily doubled
- 3 large Belgian endive heads
- Generous glugs of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 ripe but firm Fuyu persimmon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed tangerine juice (can substitute orange juice)
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and trim ends from endive heads. Quarter each head, carefully trimming any brown spots from the core, while still keeping the core intact. Place endive quarters in an 8 inch x 8 inch square baking dish or one similar in size. Using clean hands, toss quarters in a few generous glugs of olive oil, you want the oil to evenly coat the endive pieces. Add sea salt and sugar, tossing to coat. Grind fresh black pepper to taste over endive. Artfully arrange endive in dish.
- Wash and trim end off of persimmon. Halve and core. Slice fruit into thin wedges. Add persimmon to baking dish, tucking pieces between and around endive quarters.
- Dot mixture with unsalted butter cubes.
- Drizzle citrus juice over endive and persimmon.
- Top with feta cheese.
- Cover dish tightly with foil. Bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove foil and bake for and additional 10 minutes.
- Crank your oven heat up to broil. Broil for 3 minutes, until cheese and endive are beginning to brown.
- Remove dish from oven, allow mixture to cool, and transfer to table. Serve and Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
Freeze It Right There
Frozen desserts like they're meant to be
All we want is frozen dessert.
Welcome to the winner's circle.
Your poolside essentials.
Recipe of the Day