If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Looking for a substantive vegetarian side dish I came up with this recipe. You can serve this as a side all on its own, pop it under the broiler with added grated cheese, or even use it as a topping on a thin crust cheese pizza. The orange mellows the tamari and the lemon brightens the dish. - Sagegreen
- 1 pound kale
- splashes olive or argan oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- zest and juice of one orange
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 30 ounces cooked cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons premium tamari
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- dash of milled black pepper, to taste
- squeeze of lemon
- (grated cheese such as edam and mozzarella, optional, to broil on top for a variation)
- Wash and sort the large kale leaves. Lightly steam in a large pot for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pot and cut into one inch to inch and a half pieces. Cut any stems shorter into one quarter inch pieces.
- In a large braising pan heat the oil. Saute the onions and ginger. Add the cut kale stems first, zests, pepper, and salt. Saute until the kale begins to soften.
- Add the kale greens, beans and juice. Cook until kale wilts. Add the tamari. Continue to cook until the beans are heated and the kale is tender. Taste and season if needed.
- To brighten squeeze fresh lemon on top before serving. Serve as a side. For a variation consider adding grated cheese on top, brown under the broiler and serve, or use as a thin crust pizza topping.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.