If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I can't resist a lovely bunch of kale at the farmer's market! For weeknight meals I usually just braise it with garlic but adding cheese and a creamy sauce makes this dish absolutely magical...and perfect for a holiday spread! - AnEdibleMosaic
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 6-7 ounces kale, washed, stem removed, and chopped (about 8 c chopped)
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter, plus more to grease the pan
- 1 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 ounces Gruyère cheese, finely shredded
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 375F; grease a medium-sized gratin dish with butter.
- In a large, deep-sided pan with a lid, heat oil over medium heat; once hot, add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Add 1 c water, turn heat up to between medium-high and high, and add kale. Add 1/3 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper; cover pan and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain greens to remove water; put greens back into the pan they were cooked in.
- Mix shredded cheeses together; set aside 1/2 c to use as topping. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk and a pinch freshly grated nutmeg; bring up to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer 1 minute. Turn off heat and whisk in shredded cheeses, except reserved 1/2 c for topping. Taste cheese sauce and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Pour cheese sauce onto greens and stir to combine. Transfer greens and sauce to prepared gratin dish and spread out in an even layer; top with reserved 1/2 c cheese. Bake 20 minutes until cheese bubbles. Preheat broiler and broil a couple minutes until cheese is browned in spots.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side