Author Notes: I can't resist a lovely bunch of kale at the farmer's market! For weeknight meals I usually just braise it with garlic but adding cheese and a creamy sauce makes this dish absolutely magical...and perfect for a holiday spread! - AnEdibleMosaic
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 6-7 ounces kale, washed, stem removed, and chopped (about 8 c chopped)
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter, plus more to grease the pan
- 1 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 ounces Gruyère cheese, finely shredded
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 375F; grease a medium-sized gratin dish with butter.
- In a large, deep-sided pan with a lid, heat oil over medium heat; once hot, add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Add 1 c water, turn heat up to between medium-high and high, and add kale. Add 1/3 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper; cover pan and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain greens to remove water; put greens back into the pan they were cooked in.
- Mix shredded cheeses together; set aside 1/2 c to use as topping. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk and a pinch freshly grated nutmeg; bring up to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer 1 minute. Turn off heat and whisk in shredded cheeses, except reserved 1/2 c for topping. Taste cheese sauce and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Pour cheese sauce onto greens and stir to combine. Transfer greens and sauce to prepared gratin dish and spread out in an even layer; top with reserved 1/2 c cheese. Bake 20 minutes until cheese bubbles. Preheat broiler and broil a couple minutes until cheese is browned in spots.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side