If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A tropical twist on the traditional sweet potato casserole, with coconut milk and flakes, ginger and pineapple. Meringue topping inspired by Sweet Potato Meringue Casserole by Eating Well. For ovo-vegetarians. - Jeanette's Healthy Living - Jeanette's Healthy Living
Food52 Review: My husband and I both liked this. I was concerned it might be too sweet but it really wasn't. You don’t need to use a mixer to mash the potatoes or blend them with the other ingredients, a potato masher and a spoon work just fine. The meringue was nice and a definite improvement over marshmallows but it does require last-minute attention. We thought the additional flavor of the coconut and the toasted walnuts made it more interesting than the usual casserole with marshmallows that people make for Thanksgiving. - drbabs
For Sweet Potato Casserole
- 6 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" pieces
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cook on medium-low until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well, and place in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat sweet potatoes until smooth. Add maple syrup, coconut milk, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, and salt, and beat until well combined. Add pineapple and mix well.
- Spread sweet potato mixture in a lightly oiled pie dish or square pan (or divide among ovenproof ramekins for an extra elegant presentation). Sprinkle coconut and walnuts on top of sweet potato casserole. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes until warmed through. Remove from oven and set aside until ready to top with meringue.
- Meanwhile, prepare meringue topping. Beat egg whites and salt in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar in a steady stream, while beating, until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon or pipe meringue on top of sweet potato casserole.
- Place sweet potato casserole on oven rack in top third of oven. Broil about 30 seconds, leaving the oven door partially open and watching carefully to prevent burning. Meringue burns quickly!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
Good day, sunshine.