Author Notes: This is based on a potato au gratin served by Bill and Moreton Neal when they cooked at La Residence (known locally as La Res.) The potatoes are luscious, but I think the turnip baked in cream is from some other reality. And low carb to boot. - Nora
- 2-3 Turnips, depending upon size
- 2 cloves garlic
- enough cream (or half & half and cream) to cover the turnip in a baking dish
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the oven to 350.
- Butter an au gratin dish, or similar baking dish that can also be heated on top of the stove.
- Peel and finely minche the garlic. Sprinkle it across the bottom of the pan.
- Peel the turnips and slice very thinly. Use a mandolin if you like.
- Arrange the turnip slices over the garlic, overlapping. After one layer, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Make another layer and sprink with salt and pepper. Continue as needed to make layers, seasoning each.
- Pour half & half, cream, or some combination of the two over the turnip, to just barely cover.
- Put the baking dish on an eye and heat on low until the liquid begins to steams.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until the turnip is very tender and browned on top.