Author Notes: The inspiration for this recipe comes from my brother, Mike. He made a variation of them for us during Hanukkah about 10 years ago and they were a hit with our family, so we began calling them "Uncle Mike's Latkes". They are very rich, so we do not serve the traditional sour cream or applesauce with them. The Swiss cheese is an unusual, tasty addition. - HannahFood - BlueKaleRoad
Food52 Review: Although I don't have much experience in the realm of latke-making, hash browns have always topped my list of comfort foods. HannahFood's were the perfect introduction to the world of latkes. These potato pancakes are rich and flavorful while not being overly fussy to make. They fry up crisp around the edges while remaining tender at the center. The green onions add a bit of fresh and mild onion flavor while the Swiss cheese crisps, adding a rich and piquant flavor. You should definitely add these to your breakfast repertoire since they are delicious paired with a sunny side up or poached egg! - gabrielaskitchen - A&M
Makes 12-4 inch latkes
- 2 pounds potatoes (I use Yukon Gold and do not peel)
- 3/4 cups grated Swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/8 cup flour
- a few grinds black pepper
- canola oil for frying
- Grate the potatoes with a hand grater over a bowl. Scoop the potatoes out onto a kitchen towel and wring out as much moisture as possible. Drain any leftover liquid out of the bowl and return potatoes to it. Add the remaining ingredients and gently mix. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Heat about 1/8 inch of canola oil in a fry pan. When oil is hot, spoon potato mixure in to form 4 inch patties (flatten slightly so they cook evenly). After 3-4 minutes, carefully flip latkes and cook for another couple minutes on other side. Latkes should be golden brown and crispy.
- Remove latkes to baking pan lined with paper towels to absorb oil. Keep pan in oven so latkes stay warm while you fry the rest.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Pancakes