Author Notes: I have recently been obsessed with baked oatmeal, playing with different combinations of ingredients to complement the basic of rolled oats, butter, sugar and egg.. This version combines two of my favorite flavors: peanut butter and dark chocolate. This dish takes minutes to make and the food processor makes it quick simple. I found the baked oatmeal a little dry, so I added a salted caramel sauce, and loved the combination of sweet, salty creamy sauce with a wedge of the cake-like oatmeal. A rich breakfast I know, but great with good strong coffee on a special morning! You could use any kind of nut butter instead of peanut butter, and if you buy gluten free oats, even the gluten-intolerant can enjoy this dish.
The baked oatmal
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, in 4 pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup good quality peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces your favorite dark chocolate bar cut in small chunks
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
Salted caramel sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a pie pan or round cake pan.
- Mix oats, sugar, butter, baking powder and salt in a food processor until well bended. Add the peanut butter and mix briefly. Add the milk,, eggs and vanilla and mix until blended.
- Spread in a greased pie pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until top is firm, but don’t over bake.
- While the oatmeal bakes, stir together sugar and 1 tablespoon water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Let boil until it thickens and darkens. , about 3 minutes.
- Immediately add butter and stir to incorporate. Remove from heat, add cream and salt, and mix well. If its too thin you can return to heat and cook a little longer.
- To serve, place a wedge of the warm baked oatmeal on a plate and top with the warm sauce. Decorate with chocolate shavings if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast