If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I’m in love with lavender: the plant, the flowers, the fragrance. Lavender is perfect in sachets to perfume wardrobes, but it also add a lovely scent to many dishes. This is why I wanted to make something of my lavender flowers, and this something happens to be cupcakes. I wanted them to be really delicate, somewhat pure, as lavender is, that’s why I used rice flour and buttermilk which make the mixture really soft. Almond flour add a little flavor, too, to this recipe (that could be actually called the “3 flours cupcakes” seeing how many flours are in there), though in a very gentle manner. And the lavender smell that springs from the oven when baking is fairly divine.
As for the topping, I was in the mood for something really sober (no frosting, I mean) so I sprinkled some ground almonds, brown sugar and more lavender flowers for a sweet, crunchy finish. - Rita Banci
For the cupcakes
- 3.5 ounces wheat flour
- 3.5 ounces rice flour
- 3.5 ounces almond flour
- 4.5 ounces sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 120 milliliters buttermilk
- 80 milliliters milk
- 3.5 ounces butter, melted
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
For the topping
- brown sugar
- ground almonds
- dried lavender flowers
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl sift the three flours and baking soda. Stir in sugar. Mix well and make a well in the center.
- In another bowl combine eggs, buttermilk and milk. Pour the eggs and buttermilk mixture in the flour well. Pour in melted butter, too. Mix with a wooden spoon, but be careful not to stir too much because the cupcake mixture must be rather lumpy.
- Pour mixture into a cupcake mould, filling each slot with a spoonful of mixture (about 3/4 of the whole slot). You can either grease the mould with butter or use paper baking cups.
- Sprinkle the top of each cupcake with brown sugar, ground almonds and lavender flowers.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes till the core is dry and cupcakes are golden and puffed.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.