If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While I originally adapted this recipe years ago from Bon Appétit, it has morphed through the years to become my own. You can make it with bacon, Boursin, or any other flavors. I make it every Christmas morning, and now it has become a yearly tradition. The best part is that it is made the night before, so all you have to do is cook it the next morning. —Janis_
Food52 Review: WHO: Janis_ lives in Massachusetts and has been a member of the Food52 community for the past four and a half years.
WHAT: A decadent take on a classic brunch favorite.
HOW: In a large pan, top bread, prosciutto or bacon, goat cheese, onions, and basil in two layers. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and pepper, then pour the mixture over the layered bread. Drizzle the contents of the pan with melted butter, then refrigerate overnight. The next day, bake the strata at 350º F for one hour, then brown the top with a broiler before serving.
WHY WE LOVE IT: What's not to love about a dish that combines so many satisfying ingredients into a one-pan meal? It's crispy, hearty, and everything we crave when we wake up hungry. While intended as a breakfast food, we're all about enjoying this dish at any meal -- the beauty is in its versatility. —The Editors
- 18 slices firm white bread, crusts removed
- 6 ounces bacon or prosciutto, thinly sliced, divided
- 8 ounces Boursin or goat cheese, crumbled, divided
- 4 ounces provolone, grated (about 1 1/2 cups), divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions or leeks, divided
- 6 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped, divided
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Line bottom of 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish until completely covered with one layer of bread, cutting some slices to fit. Arrange half of the prosciutto evenly over bread. Sprinkle half of the goat cheese and half of the provolone on top of the prosciutto, then add half of the green onions and half of the basil. Cover with second layer of bread. Layer remaining prosciutto, goat cheese, provolone, green onions, and basil atop bread. Cut remaining bread into 1/4-inch cubes. Sprinkle over top.
- Whisk eggs, milk, mustard, and salt in bowl. Season with pepper. Pour egg mixture over layered bread mixture, then press down on the bread with a spatula. Drizzle melted butter over bread and egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To bake the strata, preheat oven to 350° F. Uncover strata and let stand at room temperature, 30 minutes. Bake until center is set, about 1 hour. Remove from oven, and set aside. Preheat broiler, then place strata under broiler until top is golden, about 30 seconds. Cut into large squares and serve.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.