Author Notes: I love oatmeal in any form and have recently been playing around with different versions of baked oatmeal. This version was inspired by a recipe for oatmeal cookies with brandied cranberries and white chocolate, which I wanted to turn into a baked oatmeal dish. I decided to try adding pumpkin and apple butter as well, The version I made used a homemade cranberry apple butter with ginger, orange rind and lemon juice. So I tried to approximate those flavors in the recipe below. This baked oatmeal is good just out of the oven topped with a splash of cream, plain milk, or perhaps eggnog. - JoanG - JoanG
Food52 Review: I loved this recipe. The pumpkin and oatmeal mixture has a great base flavor – the fresh ginger, lemon, and orange have a nice kick – and the white chocolate, pecans, and cranberries add little pockets of deliciousness. The brandied cranberries were so good that I would add extra the next time I made this. The best part about this is that it is very easy to pull together and can be on the table in a half hour from start time. Refrigerated leftovers also make a good dessert! - VanessaS
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powser
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup apple or pear buter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup toasted peacns, roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream, milk, or eggnog
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a nine inch pie pan. Place the cranberries and brandy in a bowl and microwave on medium power for about a minute. Let stand for at least an hour. Drain before adding to the batter.
- Place in a food processor: the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, powdered ginger, salt, and baking powder. Pulse until blended. Add butter and pulse a few times until blended.
- Add fresh ginger, pumpkin, vanilla, egg, milk, orange rind, lemon juice, and apple butter. Pulse until mixed in.
- Mix in very briefly the drained cranberries, white chocolate chips, and toasted pecans. Spread the batter into the greased pie pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the oatmeal has set and the top is golden. Serve warm, topped with a drizzle of cream, milk, or egg nog.