If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a perfect Christmas morning dish, whether you serve it as part of an elegant brunch or sitting around in pajamas. It is easy to put together, you do it the day before, and just pop it in the oven. It smells and tastes like Christmas and will start the day off right.
This is a really tasty dish on its own, but can be drizzled with some maple syrup or warm cranberry sauce.
Serves 6 - 8
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 loaf firm white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups dairy egg nog
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vamilla extract
- Grease a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, sugar and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the butter is melted and the mixture is thickened and syrupy, about seven minutes. Pour ¾ of the syrup over the bottom of the baking dish, swirling and spreading it to cover.
- Place a layer of bread slices over the syrup in the dish, cutting them to fit if necessary. Fill the dish as tightly as possible. Drizzle the remaining syrup over the bread, the add another of layer of bread slices.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, then add the egg nog, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Whisk together until completely combined. Pour the custard over the bread layers in the dish, pressing the bread down to be covered by the custard if it floats to the top.
- Cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate eight hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove the dish from the fridge to take the chill off. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, then bake the casserole for 35- 40 minutes, until golden and puffed and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.