If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There's a tamale stand every weekend at the Farmers Market here, and I usually stop by for a tamale or two for breakfast. One Saturday around Halloween, one of the choices was a pumpkin ricotta tamale, which I had to try. I've tweaked the filling and substituted a pastry wrapper for the masa and corn husk, and they make a nice platter of goodies for a holiday breakfast. Leftovers, should there be any, reheat wonderfully in the toaster oven. - Kayb
- 29 ounces can pumpkin puree (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Vietnamese cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 24 egg roll wrappers (or pie crust, cut into shapes of your choice)
- canola oil, for frying
- Combine pumpkin, juice, sugar, syrup, butter and spices in a heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place egg roll wrapper on a cutting board with a corner toward you. Put about 1 1/2 tablespoons of ricotta in center of wrapper, and flatten it out with a spoon. Top with about 1 1/2 tbsp. of pumpkin mixture.
- Fold bottom point up to partially cover filling. Moisten edges of wrapper with your finger dipped in water, and then fold each side in, and top down. Press gently at corners to seal.
- Heat about 1/3 inch of canola oil in a heavy, non-stick skillet. Fry turnovers until golden brown on each side. Drain on rack, with paper towels underneath. Serve warm or at room temperature. Can refrigerate for a couple of days and reheat in oven to restore the crispiness of the shell.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
Seven of the best things we read this week.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wedding registry must haves.
Wildcard Winner Recap