If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The first time we tried Queso Flameado was at Tejano Restaurant in Oak Cliff. It was also our first time there, Hank and I spied it on the menu and wondered how we had never had it before. Chorizo and gooey cheese served with fresh tortillas? Yes, please, and thank you.
But upon tasting it, it was just ok. Our cheese cooled off quickly and the chorizo was far too greasy, making for quite a mess. I knew it could be made better at home.
First adjustment- cast iron skillet. Cast iron has great heat retention, keeping your cheese nice and melt-y. (you could also use a hot plate) Next- the chorizo, buy the best quality store brand you can find, or make your own. And finally lets add some peppers, I like topping it with sauteed poblano, jalapeño, and onion for extra flavor. Queso flameado makes a great snack or simple dinner with a side of rice and beans. - thehungrytexan
- 12 ounces chorizo
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 poblano, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 cups grated asadero, queso quesadilla, or monterrey jack cheese
- Cook the chorizo in a cast iron skillet until done. Remove the chorizo and set aside, remove any excess grease from the pan.
- Sautee the onion, garlic, poblano, and jalapeño in the leftover grease until softened and fragrant. Remove half of the pepper mixture and set aside.
- Stir the chorizo in with the remaining pepper mixture. Top with shredded cheese and reserved peppers.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes until heated through and bubbling. Serve with fresh tortillas (or very sturdy chips). If you need this to feed a crowd, or are just running low on ingredients spread a layer of refried beans on the bottom, it will absorb all the flavor and make the dish go even further.
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.