If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the only recipe I have ever used for bread or rolls. The tiny recipe booklet which has this recipe came either attatched to a bag of flour or the yeast packet, I don't remember which. We were living in a tiny island country called Nauru and the island was dependant on ships bringing in goods. We could wait for months for basic supplies, so I had a lot of flour stocked to make my own bread. I was surprised the recipe worked just as well now as it did then, even though the type of yeast and quality of flour I am sure are different today. I have stuffed these rolls with a savory and a sweet filling and left some rolls plain, so it can please every one at the table, - vegetarianirvana
Serves about 18 rolls
- 4 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 and 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- Mix all dry ingredients together. Rub the butter into the flour. Make a well in the center and add the water and pull the flour in and slowly mix till it forms a sticky ball.
- Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead. Best way to knead; Place both palms on the dough ball and rock your palms back and forth till the dough forms a cylindrical roll. Then turn it 90 degrees. Now pick up the tip of the dough furthermost from you and keep rolling it over to form a ball. Now repeat rocking motion with palms to form a cylindrical roll of dough again. Turn once again 90 degrees and roll the dough and repeat this a few times till you have a smooth and silky dough.
- Now put the dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth and let it rise for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Knock down the dough gently to let the gases out and form about 18 potions[ of about 70 grams by weight] of dough. Put in a bowl, cover with damp cloth and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the filling
Make sweet and savory filling
- 1 tablespoon sour cream [light or regular]
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese[grated]
- 6 big marinated olives roughly chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup raisins[ packed]
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- a couple of pinches of cinnamon[optional]
- A little mixture of melted butter and milk for the glaze
- Mix the first three ingredients. This is the savory stuffing for the bread rolls. Stuffs six rolls
- Warm a small pan and add the raisins. When a few raisins start to plump up and change color to golden brown, turn the heat off and stir till the rest plump up. Now add the brown sugar and cinnamon if using. This is the sweet filling for the bread rolls. Stuffs six rolls
- Now back to the rolls. After the rolls have rested for 10 minutes, take each roll and knead them a few times and form a ball. Make a dent in the center large enough to fill with 1/2 a table spoon of the filling. Close over the filling. This way make about six raisin and six olive stuffed rolls. Decorate each olive stuffed roll with a bit of olive and each raisin stuffed roll with a raisin. [ PLEASE NOTE THE RAISIN MAY TASTE A LITTLE BURNT UPON BAKING SO PLEASE DON"T USE IF IT MIGHT BOTHER YOU]Now knead the remaining 6 rolls. Now place all the rolls in a buttered and floured baking pan [slightly apart from each other] and cover with a warm, damp cloth and allow to double in size, about 30 minutes.
- .Once it has doubled in size, glaze with the butter and milk mixture and bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 17-20 minutes till the rolls sound hollow when tapped and the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dinner Rolls
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls