If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made this recipe as a loaf bread once when we were suffering from an overabundance of soon-to-expire yogurt. As an experiment I tried modifying my usual bread recipe to include yogurt instead of milk and out came this pillowy soft loaf that benefited from the tang of the yogurt. I have to admit, I have not yet tried them as rolls, but I think the texture makes them ideally suited for the task. - vrunka
- 1 cup water at about 110 degrees F
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 packet active dry yeast (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup plain yogurt (preferably thick Greek style, or drained regular style)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, plus more for brushing the tops
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the honey into the water. Add the yeast and stir. Once it starts to bubble, vigorously stir in the flours, yogurt, butter and salt.
- Knead until elastic and no longer sticky, which should take about 10-15 minutes. Add more flour a little at a time as you need it, but try not to add more than 1/2 cup in all. (If you have a stand mixer, you may do this step with the dough hook on medium low speed.)
- Place dough in a well-oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until almost doubled in size, about 3-4 hours.
- Turn out the dough and knead again just a bit to stretch it out and make the dough smooth. Form 12 balls of equal size and place in a greased baking pan. Cover again and allow to rise for 1-1/2 to 2 hours until approximately doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake rolls for about 30 minutes or until a dark golden brown on top. Brush liberally with melted butter and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dinner Rolls
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.