If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mother was quite a candy maker. This is another recipe that she made about once a year. I changed a few little details (like amounts of ingredients) . I wish that my mother was still around to guide me through some of her methods! I researched this recipe (because of the strange name) and found that it is a Scottish candy. I made some to give as gifts. It is very rich so a tiny piece is satisfying. - dymnyno
Makes about 1 1/2 lbs
- 4 oz chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 7 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 6 oz whole milk
- 2 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large pot, melt the butter.
- Add the milk and the condensed milk and stir.
- Add the sugar and bring to a boil (while stirring) until a candy thermometer reads 260. It will foam and start turning golden.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and walnuts.
- With the spoon (I use a wooden spoon) beat for at least a couple of minutes, until it begins to thicken and cool.
- Pour into a buttered 4 x 10 loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the top with more walnuts and press into the candy.
- Cool and cut into squares.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts