Author Notes: 1955 Woman's Home Companion Cook Book - amanda.renee
Serves 12 to 15
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup blackberries, halved
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 to 4 tablespoons shortening, melted
- Sift flour; measure; add baking powder, salt and sugar; sift again.
- To sifted dry ingredients add 1 cup fresh blackberries or huckleberries. If frozen berries are used, increase flour by 2 tablespoons.
- Combine egg, milk and melted shortening (slightly cooled); pour into flour mixture and stir just enough to moisten the dry ingredients. Do not beat.
- Fill greased muffin pans 2/3 full and bake in a hot oven (400 degrees F.) 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 12-15 medium-sized muffins.