If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Recipe was given to me from my dear friend Soulafa Akel. This dish is of the poor, but is wonderful... it is best served at room temperature. - beckydonahue
Serves 4 - 6
- 3 Large onions
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup Green Lentils
- 1 1/4 cup Long grain rice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Rinse the lentils in cold water and drain. Cook in 4 1/2 cups water until soft (20 minutes)...do not add salt as this will toughen the lentil.
- Fry the onions slowly in 3 - 4 tablespoons olive oil. Cook slowly until the onions are soft and caramelized. Onions will be one when they turn a golden brown.
- Add half of the friend onions and the rice to the cooking lentils. Cover and cook over a low heat for another 20 minutes or until the rice and lentils are tender. Add water as necessary to make sure the rice and lentils cook and do not become too dry.
- To serve place the lentils and rice in a serving dish, using the remaining olive oil. Top with the caramelized onions. Serve at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils