If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Not to beat the chili thing to death, but this gets remarkable mileage out of a bag of lentils. I used regular brown lentils (this was before I discovered red lentils) and you could probably stretch it even further seving it with some rice .... —wssmom
Makes 1 gallon
- 2 cups lentils, washed and picked over
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 really big red onion, diced
- 6-8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspons minced fresh thyme
- 6-8 tablespoons pure chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- freshly ground pepper, lots of it
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (but only if it's on sale, otherwise use two green peppers)
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can black beans
- 2 cups corn, cut from the cob or frozen
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- hot pepper flakes, to taste
- sour cream and lime wedges, for serving
- Boil enough water to cover the lentils, and let sit in a bowl for 10 minutes or so whilst you saute the vegetables.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy (chili) pot; over medium low heat saute the onions and garlic with the thyme, the chili powder, the cumin, the salt and the ground pepper until translucent, about 15 minutes. At the last minute toss in the red and green bell peppers, stir, and let them get acquainted with the other vegetables for a few moments.
- Drain the lentils, add to the pot along with 3 cups of the stock and the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer 30 minutes, adding more stock or water as needed.
- Stir in the black beans and the corn, cover, and heat through for an additional 10 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and hot pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle each serving with some chopped cilantro, serve with a wedge of lime and a dollop of sour cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils