Author Notes: I love how the sweetness of the miso and mirin balance the earthiness of the lentils -- and how the wasabi adds a little pungency at the end. Who doesn't love a little wake up call for their sinuses? Serve it over brown rice for a quick and nutritious weekday meal -- but it's also special enough to serve as a dinner party first course. - vrunka
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon prepared wasabi
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 12-16 shrimp, shelled and cleaned
- 2 cups shredded greens (chard, kale or collards)
- sesame seeds
- sliced green onions
- Bring about a quart of water up to a boil and add the lentils. Reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook until soft, about 30 minutes. When they're done, drain off any excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, whisk together miso, mirin, wasabi, sesame oil and vinegar along with a couple tablespoons of warm water.
- When the lentils are done, heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp lentils, greens. Saute for about 30 seconds then add miso mixture, sauteing for about 3-5 minutes until shrimp are cooked through.
- Serve right away topped with sesame seeds and green onions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils