If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my go-to cornbread recipe. It's very close to the recipe in the Joy of Cooking, except that I add extra milk and I melt plenty of butter in the skillet to ensure a crispy crust. The technique I use is slightly different from what's in the book, too. It's important that the batter be pourable, if it's not the bread will be dry. Also be sure to mix quickly and minimally or the bread will be flat. - Homemadecornbread
Makes a 9 inch pan
- 3/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cup stone ground yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk
- 2 - 3 tablespoons butter for melting in the pan
- Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Then add the cornmeal.
- Melt the butter in a medium bowl in the microwave, then add the milk and heat in the microwave until the mixture is about room temperature.
- Beat the egg into the milk mixture until well combined.
- Melt the 2 tbsp. butter in a 9 inch cast iron skillet in a 425 degree oven until the butter just starts to color, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- While the butter is melting, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine quickly with a few strokes.
- Pour the batter into the hot pan on top of the butter. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn out onto a board or plate while hot.
Tags: quick bread