Author Notes: This is a very easy and remarkably flavorful salsa. The roasted tomatillos and chipotles give a great smoky flavor. - anjoma606
Makes one quart
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and washed
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 chipotles en adobo
- 1 fresh jalapeno chili
- 14.5 ounces can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed and tough stems removed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Broil the tomatillos on a sheet pan, 3 to 4 inches from heat, until all sides are browned and beginning to blacken. This takes up to 10 minutes. Remove from broiler and set aside.
- Put garlic cloves, chipotles and jalapeno pepper into the bowl of a food processor. For less heat, remove the seeds and veins from the jalapeno. Otherwise, leave it all in. Process until finely minced.
- Add the tomatillos, tomatoes, cilantro and salt to the food processor. Process until you reach the consistency you like.