Food52 Review: WHO: Sassyradish is a finance geek and food blogger living in New York.
WHAT: A sweet-tart-spicy-crisp salad, with our new favorite vegetable.
HOW: Chop your kohlrabi and apple, then toss with the dressing.
WHY WE LOVE IT: We're big fans of the crazy-looking kohlrabi, and this salad is something special; the chili gives it a great hit of spice, and the apple, vinegar, and fish sauce keep it crisp and balanced.
- 1 head kohlrabi
- 1/2 apple, such as Gala
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 bird's eye chili
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- With a sharp knife, cut off the “branches” of the kohlrabi. Peel it with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut the kohlrabi into matchsticks either using a sharp knife of a mandolin (I used the latter). Do the same with the apple.
- Toss the kohlrabi and the apple with the remaining ingredients and chill before eating.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples