If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love the creamy whites of the fennel, granny smith apple, and ricotta salata layered on top of each other with the salad's chartreuse green hints and ruby pomegranate seeds peering out. The salad has a wonderful texture to it with the crunchiness of the fennel and the paper thin apple slices which are accented by the pop of the pomegranate seeds and saltiness of the cheese. A mandolin is helpful for this recipe, but not necessary if you can slice the fennel and apple thinly. - kechin - kechin
Food52 Review: As January comes to a close, thoughts of virtuous New Year’s dieting usually slip away too. Enter Salty Sweet Apple Salad with Pomegranate Seeds by Kechin, and the problem is solved. Tart apples, licorice-y fennel, and lemon contribute clean sharp flavors, reminiscent of a palate cleanser. Ricotta salata punctuates the crispness with a tease of saltiness. Although the recipe called for pomegranate seeds, I could no longer find them at my grocery. At the suggestion of a friend, I added crushed juniper berries, which gives the salad a nice pine-like flavor. I’m pleased to have some of this delicious salad left over for lunch today. - cbear1984
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup ricotta salata (thinly shaved)
- seeds from 1/2 a pomegranate
- salt and pepper to taste
- drizzle of olive oil
- Using the 1/16" setting on your mandolin, slice the apple and the fennel bulb into thin slivers. Slice the stack of apples into half-moons. Add to bowl.
- Add the ricotta salata to the apples and fennel. I find it easiest to use a vegetable peeler to shave the ricotta salata.
- Drizzle with olive oil, the juice of half a lemon, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss the salad.
- Add the pomegranate seeds across the top of the salad and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pomegranates
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples