If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a tangy, spicy oil based slaw that has always been a crowd pleaser. It is great with pulled pork sandwiches, BBQ ribs, fish tacos or a mexican feast; and I have even served it with a holiday turkey or Christmas prime rib dinner - using festive colored bell peppers. Granny smith is the preferred apple to use, however, pink lady (in photo) adds a delicious tart flavor, too. I seriously hope you will try this! —lapadia
Serves a small crowd
- VINAIGRETTE INGREDIENTS
- 1-1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil (or canola)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan sea salt (optional)
- SLAW INGREDIENTS
- 2 large jalapeños - cut in half moons
- 1 medium bell pepper - red, orange, yellow or a combination of colors (using mini-bells)
- 1 very large granny smith apple (preferred) but pink lady adds a delicious tart flavor, too
- 2 green onions
- 7-1/2 cups finely sliced cabbage
- Finely slice the cabbage and cold water rinse. Drain well or send through a salad spinner; set aside, until needed.
- In a salad bowl, prepare the vinaigrette; mix together the honey, rice vinegar, safflower, lime juice and salt. Wisk together until smooth and saucy, set aside.
- Core and thin slice the apple; add to the vinaigrette, coat all slices to prevent browning.
- Chop the green onions, jalapeños and bell pepper. Add to the apples, stir to coat ingredients.
- Add the well drained cabbage. Toss to coat.
- Chill at least 1 hour or long enough for all ingredients to incorporate.
- *Recipe is a modified version of one found in a Chile Pepper issue - 10 years ago.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
Let's Play Gin
It's time for Haiku52
Our haikus about gin.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Food blog links we love.
Have a ball (jar).