Author Notes: I am from Minnesota where wild rice is not a luxury, but a staple. I love the crunchy substance of the rice mixed with a variety of little surprises--a bite of protein, a whole pecan, a bit of cheese and apple. Yum! - Kate55
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 bunch scallions
- 2 cups celery
- 2 cups chopped apples
- 3 cups chicken broth
- .5 cups apple cider
- .25 cups olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Bring chicken broth to a boil. Add wild rice and cook until kernels open, about 45-60 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Add chicken, chopped scallions, celery and apples to wild rice.
- Make vinaigrette by whisking olive oil into apple cider and lemon juice. Once oil is incorporated, season with salt and pepper.
- Toss dressing into rice and top with crumbled blue cheese and pecans.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples