If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Too long ago to bring up (suffice to say it was in the days before food processors), the booklet that came with my (then) new blender not only taught me how to chop cabbage using the device (chunk the cabbage, put it in the blender, fill about halfway with water, pulse until chopped, drain) it offered a recipe for cole slaw that has been the wellspring for all my subsequent slaws, and to which I would gladly give credit if I could remember what brand the blender was. I do remember it was avocado green. Or maybe harvest gold .....anyway, I no longer use the blender to chop the cabbage because I enjoy wielding my fancy new knife. This is a ridiculously simple recipe, but it tastes great. - wssmom
- 3 scant tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 scant tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 head small red cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 head small green cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 red onion. diced
- 3-4 tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled and cut into matchsticks, then diced (I do this at the last minute so the apples don't turn brown)
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- Using a blender, whirl the dressing ingredients together until emulsified. Set aside.
- Put cilantro, cabbages, onion, ginger and apples in a serving bowl and toss with enough dressing to moisten (there may be a tad left over). Refrigerate for an hour or more so that the ingredients have a chance to get chummy. Garnish with more cilantro before serving, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Lettuce love vegetables.
This is poppin'.