Author Notes: I love combining sweet and savory in salads and that is where the idea for this dish came from. Dried fruits and nuts are a must in most of my salads, I love the texture and crunch they have and the wonderful contrast they give to the freshness of fruits and vegetables.
for the chive dressing
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a blender, add in the garlic, Champagne vinegar, creme fraiche, honey, chives, salt, and pepper. Blend until combined.
- With the blender still on, through the top, stream in the olive oil. Blend until combined. Taste for salt and pepper. Set aside.
for the chopped salad
- 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1 Hass avocado, chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 english cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup green raisins
- 1/4-1/2 cup (depending on how much cheese you like in your salad) crumbled gorgonzola cheese, at room temperature
- chive dressing (recipe above)
- salt and black pepper, if necessary
- chopped chives, for garnish, optional
- Toss the apple and avocado in the lemon juice so they don't oxidize. Then, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and toss with the chive dressing. You may not have to use all of the dressing, it depends on how you like your salad. I don't like mine too wet. If necessary, add extra salt and pepper. Garnish with some chopped chives. This salad can be made up to 3-4 hours in advance. If you are making the salad in advance add in the room temperature gorgonzola when you serve the salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples