If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Looks like a lot of people think Apple and Fennel go well together! May the best recipe win! - vegetarianirvana
Dressing for the salad
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
For the salad
- 2 cups fennel , sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch thickness [for roasting]
- 1/2 cup Granny Smith Apples cut up into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup Fennel cut up into matchsticks
- a drizzle of olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of shaved sharp cheddar
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fennel fronds for garnish[optional]
- For the dressing. Reduce the apple cider by boiling it down to 1/4 of a cup. The cider will have become very sweet and syrupy.
- Whisk in the brown mustard, apple cider vinegar and salt. Add pepper to your taste. Set the dressing aside. You won't be using all the dressing.
- Take the 2 cups of sliced Fennel and put it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle some oil[ less than 1/2 tablespoon should do] Sprinkle some salt and roast in preheated 375 degree oven for 25-30 minute, turning once after 20 minutes. When it is nicely caramalized, remove and set aside.
- Mix the 1/2 cup of apple and the 1/2 cup of fennel matchsticks and marinade it in 1 tablespoon of the reduced apple cider dressing. Taste and add salt and pepper to your taste. Let it marinade for atleast 15 minutes..
- Now assemble the salad. Put the marinaded salad on to a serving dish. Top with the roasted fennel. Add the shaved cheddar. Drizzle some of the salad dressing around the salad. Garnish with fennel fronds if using.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
That was a close shave.