If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made this salad after roasting two Granny Smith apples last night in a bit of honey and lemon juice while finishing up a two day bread baking marathon. I was tired and wasn't feeling much in the mood for cooking anymore so I popped the apples in the fridge and pulled them out tonight (after a spin class) ready to make a fresh healthy salad. This recipe sort of came to me on the way home from the gym (food dreaming while driving is not good for my driving) when the crab apple trees that grew in my grandmother's yard suddenly popped into my head. I knew I had apples and a can of lump crabmeat was lurking in my fridge. The dressing came together simply as a local honey mustard yogurt mixture with some apple cider vinegar and capers thrown in. It is an incredibly easy salad to put together when all you want to do is eat. Make this when you crave summer and winter flavors at the same time. - testkitchenette
Serves 2 (but i ate it all myself)
Honey Mustard Yogurt Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Greek style yogurt or any good quality yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mustard of your choice
- 1 heaping tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon capers
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth. I used my immersion blender to emulsify everything. While I did not add them here, a few anchovies of a teaspoon of miso paste would blended into the dressing would be tasty as well.
Crab Apple Salad
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
- 1 heaping teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 4-5 big handfuls of spinach or mesclun salad greens
- 1/2 pound best quality crabmeat
- 1/4 cup red onions, finely sliced in half moons
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped (or use sundried tomatoes)
- Preheat your oven to 425F and toss the apples, honey, olive oil, and lemon juice in on a baking sheet. Roast for about 10 minutes, until apples get some color but are still firm. Set aside and try not to eat.
- In a large bowl, mix the spinach, crabmeat, onions, and tomatoes together. Dress the salad with the amount of dressing you see fit.
- Adjust seasoning and add a bit of chopped parsley if you'd like (I forgot to add mine).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.