If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an hearty, heavenly melange of crispy and tender potatoes. It's an amalgamation of several recipes, and is such a hit at the house that some meals are not considered complete without it. With the bland potatoes as the foil, the smoked paprika takes centre stage, where it belongs. —tatiana131
- 1.5 pounds baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons duck fat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Peel potatoes and cube into fairly large chunks, about 1 - 1.5 inches per side. Drop potatoes into boiling water, and cook until easily pierced with a knife, 15-22 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat a large skillet on med-high heat with olive oil and duck fat. Cast iron works awesome, but I've made this in regular and even non-stick skillets with no ill effects. Peel and slice the garlic lengthwise.
- As the potatoes are done, remove with a large slotted spoon, and drop directly into the hot skillet. Be careful - the hot oil will splash. A long sleeve shirt is best. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and about two-thirds of the smoked paprika.
- Cook without stirring until the bottom of the potatoes develop the lovely crusty edges, eight to fifteen minutes, depending on your stove's prowess. Moderate the heat to not burn, but crisp.
- Turn down the heat and give the potatoes a stir to acquaint their other sides with the hot skillet. They may need a drizzle of oil at this point, so drizzle as needed. Sprinkle the exposed sides with remaining third of paprika. Add the sliced garlic to potatoes, and toss around to add some garlic flavor without burning the garlic, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add a few turns of fresh ground pepper and serve right away.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Paprika