If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of those dishes that has been in the family for so long that my mother thinks she made it up. My parents used to entertain a lot, and every year we had a big gathering on Christmas day. (We're Jewish so we called it the Jingle Bells party.) This year, for the first time in many years, my siblings and I all made it back to New Orleans for Christmas, so we reprised the Jingle Bells party, complete with Aunt Julie's meatballs (http://www.food52.com/recipes/3119_aunt_julies_meatballs), my mother's egg salad sandwiches on white bread, and her shrimp dip. I'm not a fan of the egg salad, but this dip is really great--and of course you can adjust the seasoning to your taste.
How to prepare the shrimp is entirely up to you. We boil our shrimp in Zatarain's Crab boil--it comes in seasoning pouches and in liquid--you can add a tablespoon or two to the water in which you cook the shrimp. —drbabs
Makes about 3 cups; can be multiplied
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature (and my mother advises you not to use low-fat)
- 1/2 stick butter, room temperature (OK she uses margarine but that's just gross)
- 2 cups cooked shrimp (see headnote--we use Zatarain's crab boil), peeled, deveined and cut into small pieces
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- juice and zest of 1/2-1 lemon, depending on your taste
- 1-2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-12 dashes Tabasco (depending on how hot you like it)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix cream cheese and butter till well blended. Stir in shrimp, scallions, Worcestershire sauce. Add Tabasco a little at a time and taste till it is as hot as you like. Add salt and fresh-ground black pepper if needed. Stir till blended.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, and serve warm with crackers or toasted slices of French bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Scallions
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip