If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a recipe that I adapted from one found in a Sicilian cookbook. It is best for bitter oranges like Sevilles or blood oranges that can benefit from a process that eliminates some of their bitterness. The four day soak eliminates the bitterness and surprisingly, none of the flavor. More than just a marmalade, it is great as a filling in cakes and cookies. - dymnyno
Food52 Review: WHO: Ever-fabulous wine-making, paradise-dwelling dymnyno -- that's pronounced "Diamond Wino" to the uninitiated.
WHAT: Sunset-hued blood orange marmalade.
HOW: A very unusual technique that involves poking holes in the oranges, and then a five day soak.
WHY WE LOVE IT: It's always fun to encounter a new technique. Here, a little patience does most of the work for you, and then said patience is rewarded with a batch of glistening, perfectly bittersweet marmalade. - The Editors
Makes 9 cups
- 3 pounds blood oranges
- 3 pounds sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Using a fork or a spiky florist turtle (for quick results!) prick the oranges completely.
- Put them in a small pail or large bowl and cover with water.
- Change the water every day for 4 days.
- Drain the oranges and cut in half and remove the seeds (there will be very few).
- Slice them very thinly and turn and slice the other direction so that you mince the oranges.
- Put the minced orange pulp,lemon ju and the sugar in a large heavy pot and heat until the sugar is completely melted.
- Cool, and leave overnight to develop color and flavors.
- Next, bring to a boil, put in the thermometer, lower the heat slightly and simmer until the jell point is reached (220).
- Pour into sterilized canning jars and seal.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
Soda Gum Drops!
The Best Cinnamon Rolls